Origin of 'awk'

964[jak]-Robert Halloran rkh at mtune.ATT.COM
Wed Mar 9 02:13:04 AEST 1988

In article <2111 at ukecc.engr.uky.edu> wes at engr.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) writes:
>I was watching an old episode of Batman, and was enjoying the
>requisite fight scene.  The Boy Wonder delivered a hefty blow
>to a villain's henchman, and the necessary 'visual sound effect'
>came up on the screen.  But, lo!  This was no *ordinary* Batman
>sound effect, for filling my screen was the magic word
>
>@AWK!!!@
>
>Is *this* the true origin of one of my favorite UNIX commands?
>Could it have really come from a campy 60's action/adventure show?

>From "The UNIX Programming Environment" by Kernighan & Pike:

"'sed' was designed & implemented by Lee McMahon, using 'ed' as a base.
 'awk' was designed by Al Aho, Peter Weinberger and Brian Kernighan, by
 a much less elegant process.  Naming a language after its authors also
 shows a certain poverty of imagination."

A, W, K for the authors' last initials, OK?
						Bob Halloran
						Distributed Programming
						  Tools Group
UUCP: {ATT-ACC, rutgers}!mtune!rkh		DDD: (201)957-6034
Internet:   rkh at mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: AT&T DSG, 200 Laurel Ave Rm 3G-314 Middletown NJ 07748
Disclaimer: If you believe I'm speaking for anyone but myself,
		you're sadly mistaken.
Quote: "Good morning, the Russians still beating the pants off us in space?"
		-- Opus to Oliver, "Bloom County"