Origin of 'awk'

Wes Morgan wes at engr.uky.edu
Tue Mar 8 01:51:53 AEST 1988

I was watching an old episode of Batman, and was enjoying the
requisite fight scene.  The Boy Wonder delivered a hefty blow
to a villain's henchman, and the necessary 'visual sound effect'
came up on the screen.  But, lo!  This was no *ordinary* Batman
sound effect, for filling my screen was the magic word

@AWK!!!@

Is *this* the true origin of one of my favorite UNIX commands?
Could it have really come from a campy 60's action/adventure show?

Wes

--
     wes at engr.uky.edu OR wes%ukecc.uucp at ukma OR ...cbosgd!ukma!ukecc!wes
      Ho! Ha ha! Guard! Turn!  Parry! Dodge! Spin! Thrust! <*SPROING!*>