Help us defend against VMS!

Garry Wiegand garry at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
Fri Mar 4 05:33:44 AEST 1988

In a recent article mcpherso at msudoc.UUCP wrote:
><flame on>
>
>	YOU PEOPLE ARE WASTING MY TIME!!!
>
><flame off>

Go away, please. We have both, we like both too. But, as professionals,
it's always interesting to discuss what makes a good computer. The VMS
vs Unix holy war is unusually fun and enlightening because people
have such strong opinions and ideas about it.

Most of what goes by on these newsgroups can be classified as "data" -
people reporting random bits of technical info to each other. Topics that
inspire people to *think*, on the other hand, are rare. I've gained a *lot*
more enlightenment from "Unix vs VMS" than from all the usual grungy junk
around here.

Harrumph.

garry wiegand   (garry at oak.cadif.cornell.edu - ARPA)
		(garry at crnlthry - BITNET)

PS - I'd like to publicly thank Barry Shein for a very good pro-Unix (or
   pro-both) posting. I'm generally pro-VMS (ie, DEC's "style" of doing
   things is closer to my own than the Unix authors' style is), but Barry's
   arguments were practical and carefully put.