Undocumented ex/vi options

Shankar Unni shankar at hpclscu.HP.COM
Tue Mar 1 08:11:40 AEST 1988

/ hpclscu:comp.unix.wizards / decot at hpisod2.HP.COM (Dave Decot) /  2:39 pm  Feb 28, 1988 /
> Some guesses in order of certainty:
>
>     tagstack
>
> 	 Controls (whether there is a, the size of the?) stack of tags
> 	 in use.  There are probably additional commands called
> 	 :push and :pop.  :push is used like :tag, except that
> 	 it also pushes the most recently used tag position onto
> 	 the top of the tag stack.  :pop pops the tag stack and restores
> 	 the top tag position.

In 4BSD vi:

It controls the presence of a "tag stack" (not its size). There is also a
variable called "filestack" which stores the file names in which the tags
are marked. For instance, if I set both "tagstack" and "filestack", then
when I type "^]" (the "tag" command), vi saves the current file name in
the file stack, and the position in the tag stack before jumping to the
tag. I can't quite recall the command to pop off the tag/file stack, but I
remember that there *was* one (which I had bound to 'q').

(All this is from my memories of 4.2BSD > 3 years ago, so some of it is
fuzzy..)

BTW, Dave, you might want to suggest this feature to Wayne....

Shankar