RFS vs. NFS

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Fri Mar 25 05:49:00 AEST 1988

In article <4477 at megaron.arizona.edu> lm at megaron.arizona.edu (Larry McVoy) writes:
>minutes deciding to dump RFS and add TCP/IP and NFS.  I think it was
>mainly a compatibility decision.

It is clearly a marketing decision.  Widely-used existing "standards"
are in demand and others generally are not.  We have some RFS and
Starlan-compatible systems here, but since the rest of our network
is built around NFS and TCP/IP and does not know how to support RFS
or Starlan, we obviously don't use them.  (By the way, I don't know
if Starlan is techincally worth using, but RFS would be.)  For similar
reasons we're not using ISO TP4, X.25, and other possibly worthwhile
facilities.

I must say that removing RFS from a UNIX System V Release 3 port is
a serious mistake; adding TCP/IP and NFS is perfectly reasonable.