RFS vs. NFS

Larry McVoy lm at arizona.edu
Thu Mar 24 12:24:21 AEST 1988

In article <7765 at apple.Apple.Com> jk at apple.UUCP (John Kullmann) writes:
>The key difference between NFS and RFS is:
>	Everyone wants and uses NFS and no one wants or uses RFS.

I suspect you'll get flamed for this but I'll back you up to this extent:
In a recent V.3 port to some big iron the powers that be spent about 5
minutes deciding to dump RFS and add TCP/IP and NFS.  I think it was
mainly a compatibility decision.

Note that I don't necessarily mean to condone NFS (I was looking at IS'
TRFS [transparent remote file system] and it seems like they get
better performance than NFS).  And there is this business of "NFS is
stateless so we'll add the stateful part in daemons off to the side".
That's a little weird, but it _is_ a hard problem.
--

Larry McVoy	lm at arizona.edu or ...!{uwvax,sun}!arizona.edu!lm