Help us defend against VMS!

Bo Thide irf at kuling.UUCP
Sun Mar 13 00:47:10 AEST 1988

In article <2258 at bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In article <284 at wright.EDU> jsloan at wright.EDU (John Sloan) writes:
>>DEC has delivered a
>>proposal for a 6MIPS VAX for $1.2M. Six months ago I purchased,
>>received, and deployed our Sun-3/280S, a 4MIPS engine for under
>>$100K.

Well, I just got my FPA installed in my HP9000/350 (multi-user HP-UX)
turning this 4 MIPS machine (4.7 times VAX integer, they say)
into a 3.5 MWhets number cruncher.  This is an amazing speed at
an amazingly low total price (less than the equivalent of $50k for the lot).
I am just now installing an Ariel FFT processor (at $1,600) to improve
the speed even further (1024 point complex FFT in 9 ms, 256 point real
FFT in less tan 1 ms).

Similar workstations are available from Sun, Apollo, Masscomp and others.
This just shows that today's personal "super"-workstations have turned
traditional minis (like the VAXen) obsolete.

An added benefit is that all workstations use (some type of) UN*X.

-Bo