Wanted: C Coding Standards Info

Dave Jones djones at megatest.UUCP
Sat Mar 19 08:10:20 AEST 1988

in article <355 at stag.UUCP>, trb at stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) says:

> Hi,
>   We are currently looking into a long term migration from a Pascal Programming
> environment (>1 million lines of code on Apollos) to C. Our main areas of
> concern center around obtaining portable and maintainable code. Since many
> of our programmers have never used C before, we really need to start out on
> the right foot and have a well defined set of coding standards.

Look into the "Indian Hill" standards.  Pretty good so far as it goes.
But I don't really think that how you indent things, and how you format
comments is really very important.

I would also recommend that you get a copy of C++, and use that instead of
straight C.  For new code it's absolutely wonderful.  I'm hooked.  But
even for this translation effort it would be useful.  Just the type-checking
of procedure parameters will save you some debug sessions.

		Dave Jones
		Megatest Corp.
		880 Fox Lane
		San Jose, CA.