More Questions about Sun OS/ATT Merged UNIX.

Dave Decot decot at hpisod2.HP.COM
Sat Mar 5 12:10:09 AEST 1988

> I hope that this _not_ what Sun is going to do.  Why?  Because it perpetuates
> the problem, rather than attempt a solution.  What really needs to be done is
> to have some smart (set of) person(s) take a long hard look at both kernels
> and boths sets of command trees.  They should come up with a list of items
> that are
>
>     a) syntactically and semantically the same (i.e., ARE the same)
>     b) syntactically different but semantically the same
>     c) syntactically the same but semantically different (these exist)
>     d) syntactically and semantically different
>
> and resolve the differences.

This is what POSIX and X/Open are trying to do at the moment.

> Once you've done that you have similar semantics and it's just
> a question of deciding which are ``best'' and committing to them and
> providing a compat lib for loose ends.

You have just described HP-UX 2.0.

HP-UX conforms to SVID (except NSE, at the moment), and includes job control,
select, interval high-resolution timers, process/data memory locking,
ksh, shell layers, RCS, X, ARPA/BSD networking, preemptable kernel,
"contiguous" files, BSD-style fast file system, symbolic links, long
file names, multiple group IDs per process, NFS, SIGIO, and lots of
non-SVID System V stuff.  All in a system that passes the SVVS.

You get System V and non-conflicting BSD stuff by default;  if you want
the BSD version of a something that conflicts (a "loose end"), you just
link in an extra library.

Dave Decot
hpda!decot