Scientific computing under Unix

Bo Thide irf at kuling.UUCP
Wed Mar 16 17:05:59 AEST 1988

In article <43200014 at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> kai at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

The f77 on HP-UX seems to be very fast.  Our tests show that it is just as
fast as C.  In fact, the possibility to use single precision (32 bit)
floating numbers in HP FORTRAN makes it even faster!  So we were always
very happy with it.

Is there anybody who has a different opinion or has made a
comparison between the HP FORTRAN compilers and others?  We're curious to
know since we are looking for max speed (at min cost).  Just to give
an example:  A recent cross-spectral analysis program takes 36 hours to
run on our smallest HP (220 with HPs old FPA)!