Scientific computing under Unix

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP
Thu Mar 17 02:16:21 AEST 1988

In article <1187 at valhalla.ee.rochester.edu> deke at ee.rochester.edu (Deke Kassabian) writes:

| In article <43200014 at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> kai at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
| >F77 is slow, slow, slow.  If you want fast, fast, fast fortran for scientific
| >computing, use Alliant's FX/FORTRAN.  We're talking FAST!  Very VAX/VMS Fortran
| >compatible.  Bucks per megaflop, can't be beat.
	[ I think Encore and Convex would argue that point ]

| Well if your code lends itself to vectorization and concurrency, this is true.
| But Alliant FX/FORTRAN requires an Alliant FX computer...not for everyone.

  One of the points against multi-processor computers vs uni-processor,
given that both have the same total power, is that some programs just
don't allow more than one processor to be used. In those cases the
uni-processor, with a faster processor, will run much faster, assuming
that there is CPU available. This applies only to machines where there
is available CPU.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)