Scientific computing under Unix

Deke Kassabian deke at socrates.ee.rochester.edu
Wed Mar 16 01:36:32 AEST 1988

In article <43200014 at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> kai at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
>F77 is slow, slow, slow.  If you want fast, fast, fast fortran for scientific
>computing, use Alliant's FX/FORTRAN.  We're talking FAST!  Very VAX/VMS Fortran
>compatible.  Bucks per megaflop, can't be beat.

Well if your code lends itself to vectorization and concurrency, this is true.
But Alliant FX/FORTRAN requires an Alliant FX computer...not for everyone.

>Patrick Wolfe
>pwolfe at kai.com
>..!{uunet,ihnp4}!uiucuxc!kailand!pwolfe

 \\\  Deke Kassabian, URochester Department of Electrical Engineering  \\\
  \\\ deke at ee.rochester.edu                  "I never metacharacter     \\\
   \\\   or ...!rochester!ur-valhalla!deke     I didn't like......"      \\\