VMS is not the evil empire

Louis Schmittroth louis at auvax.UUCP
Thu Mar 10 12:10:50 AEST 1988

In article <20469 at bu-cs.BU.EDU|, bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

| >What does this have to do with choosing VMS over Ultrix?  Well, at least
| >in our area, one would probably receive better *local* support for VMS
| >than Ultrix.  KEEP IN MIND I am referring to LOCAL support!  Both VMS
| >and Ultrix 'OS' (long distance call) level support for us has been excellent.
| >
| >--
| >Eric J. Johnson         UUCP: eric at hdr.UUCP || ...!{ihnp4, codas}!hdr!eric
|
| DEC's pathological resistance to providing hardware service on Vaxes
| running Ultrix or Unix is a good reason not to buy Vaxes, it's no
| reason not to buy Unix which can be had from responsible vendors.

There is not only no reason to go with VMS, there is no reason to go
with DEC, unless you have already locked yourself into VMS.  I have seen
vendors come and go since before DEC was incorporated, and welcomed
UNIX as the best thing that ever happened to the computer field for
two reasons:  a superior development system, and a vendor-independent
platform for applications.  The only thing wrong with going with UNIX
is the large number of choices.  You really have to do some decision
making to find your way around the vendors.  If you want ultimate
answers in religion and computers, then of course go with IBM ...

Otherwise, try Sun, Sequent, NCR, Unisys, AT&T, ...

Louis Schmittroth		           My employer has no opinions.
Computer Science
Athabasca University   ...{ubc-vision, ihnp4}!alberta!auvax!louis