Ultrix == Unix

Michael I. Bushnell mike at turing.UNM.EDU
Sun Mar 13 05:10:03 AEST 1988

In article <8803112014.AA05869 at decwrl.dec.com> devine at cookie.dec.com (Bob Devine) writes:
>Subject: Re: Help us defend against VMS!
>
>In article <867 at unmvax.unm.edu> mike at turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
>
>> Now, we all know that Ultrix isn't really UNIX, and that it probably
>> should be thrown out the window, but [...]
>
>  Ok, so *what* is Unix.  Is it something that comes out of
>UC-Berkeley?  Out of Mt. Xinu?  Is it Version 7?  System III?

[Lots of various Unix-like operating systems deleted]

UNIX is that which legally bears the trademark "UNIX".  See?
That is what trademarks are for.  This means Versions 1-n, System III,
System V, BSD, and Mt. Xinu (which is distributed straight from BSD).

Trademarks are useful.  They let the consumer know what she is getting.
Ultrix is enhanced 4.2BSD UNIX.  It is lacking in almost all of the
additions Berkeley made for 4.3BSD.  The additions DEC has made are
almost none of them by DEC, they are by other vendors (SUN, AT&T).

>  Just because you "all know" something does not make it true.
>Something to consider is that Berkeley runs Ultrix on its
>department machines because of the support available.

Just because you "know" why UCB runs Ultrix on dept. machines
doesn't make it true.  They do it because of DEC demanding that
they buy an OS with the machine.  They don't want to buy a second
license and put BSD on.  Now, if DEC let them by machines without
an OS....

				Michael I. Bushnell
				mike at turing.unm.edu
				{ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing!mike