Ultrix == Unix

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Wed Mar 16 14:37:43 AEST 1988

In article <883 at unmvax.unm.edu> mike at turing.UNM.EDU.UUCP (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
> Trademarks are useful.  They let the consumer know what she is getting.
> Ultrix is enhanced 4.2BSD UNIX.  It is lacking in almost all of the
> additions Berkeley made for 4.3BSD.  The additions DEC has made are
> almost none of them by DEC, they are by other vendors (SUN, AT&T).

Look, about the time 4.3 BSD comes with DECnet, LAT, disk based partition
tables and now NFS, I'll have it running here a week later.  I realize
most of these are excuses for talking to vaxen running that other operating
system, but if some of the users here prefer to use VMS, I'm not going
to take away their toys and it's to my advantage to interoperate with as
much flexability as possible.

While DEC may not be cutting any new ground with Ultrix, it's not a bad
job overall, and they haven't really done any worse brutalities to
BSD than most of the other vendors who have tried to "add something" to
Unix to meet their perceived needs.  Sun is innocent, maybe?

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr
but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net