ABIs and the futurrrr of UNIX(tm)

John Mashey mash at mips.COM
Sun Mar 27 13:22:51 AEST 1988

In article <20913 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>Hey, I hear that UniSys has agreed to use the SPARC in future
>products.

Whoa! UniSys signed a license for SPARC, which means you pay $X to get
the design information.  Here is a useful quote from Computerworld,
March 14, 1988, page 7:

`"We have just signed a license agreement, but we haven't specifically
made a determination what to do.  We are looking at a high-performance
workstation and a large UNIX system," said Fred Meier, vice-president
of corporate program management at Unisys.
Unisys examined other reduced instruction set computing (RISC) architectures
and may yet commit to other RISC designs as well, Meier added.'
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash at mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253