ABIs and the futurrrr of UNIX(tm)

Rick Sample sample at chimay.cs.ubc.ca
Tue Mar 29 09:41:34 AEST 1988

In article <1938 at winchester.mips.COM> mash at winchester.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:

>Whoa! UniSys signed a license for SPARC, which means you pay $X to get
>the design information.  Here is a useful quote from Computerworld,
>March 14, 1988, page 7:
>
>`"We have just signed a license agreement, but we haven't specifically
>made a determination what to do.  We are looking at a high-performance
>workstation and a large UNIX system," said Fred Meier, vice-president
>of corporate program management at Unisys.
>Unisys examined other reduced instruction set computing (RISC) architectures
>and may yet commit to other RISC designs as well, Meier added.'
>--

Seems that there may be some disagreement within Unisys as to whether
or not they have decided to use Sparc.  Here's a quote from Info World
of March 14, page 1:

`For it's part, Unisys said it would begin shipping SPARC hardware
within a year and is counting on the architecture as the basis for
its future Unix hardware business.'

Rick Sample
Department of Computer Science
University of British Columbia