Compressing unix disks

Chris Torek chris at trantor.umd.edu
Sun Mar 13 14:09:55 AEST 1988

In article <20574 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>[note that all of this only applies to 4.2BSD derived systems]
>>... My boss maintains that 10% of the AVAILABLE blocks must be kept free.
>>... I think that the system's already got the space it needs.
>>Dave Glowacki       daveg at pwcs.StPaul.GOV     ...!amdahl!ems!pwcs!daveg

>You're right, the boss is wrong, you can have your 10% back, the
>enforced 10% should cover it.

Agreed.

>... whenever you are asked an operating systems question, always
>begin with the phrase "Well, it depends..."

Or, `no and yes' (see _The_Lord_of_the_Rings_, Chapter 3: Three Is
Company, very near the end of the chapter).

>Cheers, and be sure to read Chris Torek's answer also :-)

Seriously, all I can add is that if your boss stubbornly refuses
to acknowledge that he might be wrong, you could run

	tunefs -m 0 /u

to change the internally enforced free space to 0% (so that the
10% that you now see will become 19%).  Of course you should be
ready with an explanation as to where the space came from; `I
rolled some old files off to tape' should suffice :-) .
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Computer Science, +1 301 454 7163
Domain: chris at mimsy.umd.edu		Path: ...!uunet!mimsy!chris