Compressing unix disks

Steve DeJarnett steve at polyslo.UUCP
Sun Mar 13 05:55:22 AEST 1988

In article <4336 at pwcs.StPaul.GOV> daveg at pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Dave Glowacki) writes:
>In article <1097 at hubcap.UUCP> hubcap at hubcap.UUCP (Mike Marshall) writes:
[discussion deleted]
>Could someone PLEASE tell me I'm right, so we can get back all that wasted
>space?  (9% of 3 Fuji Eagles)

	Yes, you're right.  The system does keep 10% extra in reserve.  We
weren't sure this was true until we filled up our user file system, but sure
enough, 'df' showed /usr as being 110% of capacity -- 0 free blocks.  I don't
know how you can go about changing how 'df' works, short of recoding it, but
the extra 10% is definitely usable (although when you get to that point, you'd
probably better start shoving stuff on tape and deleting fast -- the last 10%
of an Eagle goes pretty fast).

| Steve DeJarnett		|    ...!ihnp4!csun!polyslo!steve	      |
| Computer Systems Lab		|    ...!{csustan,csun,sdsu}!polyslo!steve    |
| Cal Poly State Univ.		|    ...!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve	      |
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407	|    					      |