NFS

Dave Cohrs dave at spool.cs.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 31 07:44:58 AEST 1988

In article <303 at unixprt.UUCP> paf at unixprt.UUCP (Paul Fronberg) writes:
>Another point in the on going RFS-NFS wars:
>NFS seems to be coupled with TCP/IP.

A nitpic: NFS, as used on most machines, uses UDP/IP.  TCP is too slow
and is stateful.  I'm know there are other NFS implementations (Lachman
did/is doing one over ISDN).  Nothing in NFS itself assumes that it
uses UDP.  The biggest problem I would see with using a X.25 is that
X.25 is stateful, which would probably make NFS slower.

dave
Dave Cohrs
+1 608 262-6617                        UW-Madison Computer Sciences Department
dave at cs.wisc.edu                 ...!{harvard,ihnp4,rutgers,ucbvax}!uwvax!dave