NFS

Scott Schwartz schwartz at gondor.cs.psu.edu
Thu Mar 31 05:59:52 AEST 1988

In article <303 at unixprt.UUCP> paf at unixprt.UUCP (Paul Fronberg) writes:
>Another point in the on going RFS-NFS wars:
>NFS seems to be coupled with TCP/IP. I have not seen anyone running
>it with other protocols whereas I have seen RFS running with
>several different TLI providers.

RPC runs on whatever you want it to, and NFS runs on RPC,
the particular network protocol shouldn't be that big an issue.

I have heard that there is a faction within Sun that thinks NFS
should run on TCP, but for the present:

gondor% egrep "TCP|UDP" /usr/src/new/sunrpc3.9/doc/nfs.rfc.ms
NFS currently is supported on UDP/IP only.
The NFS protocol currently uses the UDP port number 2049.  This is
The mount service is currently supported on UDP/IP only.
gondor%

Quote of the week: in unix review, Bill Joy says that NFS is the
"rotary dial" of network filesystems, and that something better
will invariably come along.

-- Scott Schwartz                       | Your array may be without head or
        schwartz at gondor.cs.psu.edu      | tail, yet it will be proof against