Help us defend against VMS!

Mr. nEtural matt at oddjob.UChicago.EDU
Tue Mar 1 08:25:03 AEST 1988

Let me add a few words to Barry's many.

We (the University of Chicago) have joined one of the wide-area
DECNET networks that Barry alludes to.  Since we joined, not one
month has passed without an urgent bulletin from the agency which
runs the network, alerting all nodes to a break-in.  One or another
group of malicious crackers finds a hole in the DECNET software which
allows them to penetrate nearly every VMS node on the network.

All we get are instructions on how to detect and fix the typical
damage done by each group.

When was the last time you heard of a similar break-in against unix
systems?  The only one I can remember was a couple years ago, and
source and object-only fixes to the buggy system program were
circulated almost instantly.

			Matt Crawford