O'pain Software Foundation: (3) relationship to GNU & openness

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Thu May 26 21:44:50 AEST 1988

In article <3c3fdf1b.4bee at apollo.uucp> gallen at gallen.UUCP (Gary Allen) writes:

>Are you unaware that MS-DOS (PC-DOS if you prefer) is proprietary, the most
>common OS on earth, the most portable, and probably also the worst?

Well, it's proprietary in the sense that someone owns it, and that's true of
UNIX also; that will no doubt be true of any OSF product as well. In fact,
I can't see anyone investing the amount of time and effort needed to produce
a viable OS and not wanting to maintain some control over it. Even GNU is
copyrighted, and in that sense proprietary.

It is not proprietary in that it's not owned by the manufacturer of the
hardware required to run it, unlike VMS, MVS, etc. In fact it's owned by
a company which does not make hardware at all.
UUCP:     ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
INTERNET: wnp at DESEES.DAS.NET or wnp at dcs.UUCP   TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD