RSCS (was Re: UREP)

Chet Ramey chet at mandrill.CWRU.Edu
Tue May 17 00:47:55 AEST 1988

In article <22495 at teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw at teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) writes:
>> UREP stands for UNIX-RSCS Emulation Program.
>
>OK, so what's "RSCS"?

RSCS -- Remote Spooling Command Subsystem

It started out as an IBM printer-driving system, was picked
up for BITNET (which was originally almost entirely composed of
IBM mainframes), and is now firmly entrenched there.

Having never used an IBM, this is not gospel, but I've heard that you
have to send files across BITNET (this might or might not include
mail) with a "PUNCH" command -- a relic of the original punched-card
implementation.

Chet Ramey
chet at mandrill.ces.cwru.edu
--