NFS write timeout (was Re: rcp failure due to echo)

Bill Wohler wohler at spam.istc.sri.com
Tue May 17 14:10:17 AEST 1988

In article <348 at unicom.UUCP> daniel at unicom.UUCP (Dan Smith, not your average Lithuanian...) writes:
>I tried copying a 5 meg tar file island->jamaica, and the file
>got corrupted.

  betcha your console said NFS write error number 60.  i have see this
  occur, even on lightly loaded systems, while copying files over
  1.5M.  the solution is to do all your heavy disk i/o on the server,
  or if this is not possible, bump up your NFS timeout from the
  default of 7 to something like 20 or so (which our lispers and
  prologers have to use with their huge save states).

  a sample line in /etc/fstab may look like:

	server:/usr/dir	/usr/dir nfs rw,soft,bg,timeo=20 0 0

						--bw