O'pain Software Foundation: (2) Why is it better than AT&T?

lid lid at cernvax.UUCP
Fri May 27 21:31:09 AEST 1988

In article <685 at vsi.UUCP> sullivan at vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) writes:
>In article <3c3a336e.13422 at apollo.uucp>, mishkin at apollo.uucp (Nathaniel Mishkin) writes:
>>
>> BTW, I object to the various speculation (on the part of several people)
>> on the topic of the "ulterior motives" of DEC and IBM.  (No one cares
>
>I can't see why you have objections.  I myself am suspicious
>of a company that is supposed to write a unified Unix being
>headed by DEC and IBM, who would like nothing more than to
>see Unix go away.  Despite what DEC and IBM execs say, I believe
>that is still the case.  People's objections are understandable.

I really don't see the whole point of the discussion:
	a) they (OSF) have got 90M$ to spend, they are free to spend
		it as they wish,
	b) they could come out with a real Unix system, compatible with
		ATT Unix and we will get 2 vendors for Unix, OR
		their system is different and if it better than Unix
		we (users) gain, if it is worse we are stuck with ATT
		and they've lost 90M$.

In any case the user community will gain, Sun and ATT will for sure change
their attitude to better counter OSF effort. So why people complain about
OSF ?
There is no reason to fear IBM or DEC, the market is asking for Unix
and the market will decide what is going to win, just wait and see.

Achille Petrilli, Cray Operations