O'pain Software Foundation: (2) Why is it better than AT&T?

Mark Runyan runyan at hpirs.HP.COM
Wed May 25 02:22:13 AEST 1988

While I tend to agree with Scott, I wanted to make a minor point...

>/ hpirs:comp.unix.wizards / sas at pyrps5 (Scott Schoenthal)
>I think that if IBM, DEC, et al., were truly interested in delivering an open
>implementation of Mumblix (or whatever their derivative of Un*x is to be
>called), the money would have been best spent in funding an independent effort
>(e.g., FSF or a university).

It seems that OSF will be funding some university research.  Does this
count for something?

>I have no doubt that OSF will do what is best for the OSF members.

Yes, but can't anyone become an OSF member (including AT&T)?  This is
supposed to be an organization for standards, and I don't remember them
saying that it was going to be an elite organization.

>That's fine.  It's their money.  Just as, has
>been recently implied, AT&T and Sun will do what is best for themselves.
>Please don't represent OSF as a white knight riding in from the East (or
>wherever).

I won't represent them as White Knights, but I don't see them as
Black Villians, either (yet?).  Of course, I have a biased point
of view, I suppose.

Mark Runyan       Hewlett-Packard, Cupertino, CA. , USA
                  {ucbvax|hplabs}!hpda!runyan