O'pain Software Foundation: (2) Why is it better than AT&T?

David H. Wolfskill david at dhw68k.cts.com
Tue May 31 22:49:16 AEST 1988

In article <700 at cernvax.UUCP> lid at cernvax.UUCP (Achille Petrilli) writes:
>There is no reason to fear IBM or DEC, the market is asking for Unix
>and the market will decide what is going to win, just wait and see.

Well, "fear" may or may not be appropriate, but a large dose of concern
would seem reasonable (from my perspective).

I work on an IBM mainframe (running MVS/XA, which I am paid to support);
I retreat to UNIX here at home....  (Make of that what you will.... :-)

I perceive a few things about IBM's actions in the past that lead me to
believe that IBM is very good at marketing things to the people who make
the $$ decisions.  Unfortunately, I also perceive that some of their
more successful marketing efforts have been dismal from a technical
standpoint; as an illustration of this, I point out the s/36.

IBM has a considerable capability to do marvelous things; if they live
up to that potential, I hope that I will be one of the first to
congratulate them -- but I'm not expecting it.

david
--
David H. Wolfskill
uucp: ...{trwrb,hplabs}!felix!dhw68k!david	InterNet: david at dhw68k.cts.com