Request BSD 4.23!

A0096%DK0RRZK0.BITNET at cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu A0096%DK0RRZK0.BITNET at cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu
Sat May 21 18:03:15 AEST 1988

We recently bought ULTRIX V2.2 for our institutes Vaxes. This implementation
is promised to be close to the Berkeley 4.2 Release. The problem is the
DEC marketing strategy especially for the MicroVax 3. In Germany you can get
actually the same tape for a MVax 2 and the MVax 3 at suprisingly different
rates. For the MVax 2 it costs about $3500 ; the MVax 3 is about $20000.
Can anyone give me help to the following questions:

      - Is BSD 4.2 binary compatible with ULTRIX V2.2
      - Where can you buy BSD 4.2 UNIX
      - Can you bootstrap a MVax 3 with the standard distribution from tape
      - What are the prices for source/binary licenses for educational/com-
        mercial institutions
      - Can we use BSD 4.3 as well. What are the differences
      - Email adress of the location where you can actually order

Since this list is intended for people maintaining UNIX systems I assume that
at many sites you are involved with such questions.

     Thanks in advance

          Thomas