Request BSD 4.23!

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sat May 21 20:16:01 AEST 1988

In article <14490 at brl-adm.ARPA> A0096%DK0RRZK0.BITNET at cornellc.ccs.cornell.edu
writes:
>- Is BSD 4.2 binary compatible with ULTRIX V2.2

No.  Among other things, Ultrix 2.2 includes Sun's NFS; neither 4.2BSD
nor 4.3BSD do.  (You can get 4.3BSD+NFS from U. of Wisconsin or from Mt.
Xinu.)  Some of the `other things' include literally hundreds of fixes
required for 4.2BSD.

>- Where can you buy BSD 4.2 UNIX

>From Berkeley, of course.  You would not want 4.2BSD, however, but rather
4.3BSD, which has (as mentioned) hundreds of fixes over 4.2BSD.  You need
an AT&T source license (32V or later) and (I think) $1500 to get 4.3BSD.

>- Can you bootstrap a MVax 3 with the standard distribution from tape

Neither 4.2BSD nor 4.3BSD run on a Microvax III.  4.3BSD runs on a uVax
II but no suitable boot media are provided (i.e., you must buy it with
Ultrix before you can boot 4.3BSD).  MIT has modifications to make
4.3BSD run on a Vaxstation 3000, which I would guess is a uVax III with
a display.

>- Email adress of the location where you can actually order

Anne Hughes <anne at Berkeley.edu>; but you cannot get an order through
without using the post office (since you have to send paperwork, such
as copies of licenses, checks or purchase orders, and so forth).