C Profiler Wanted

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sun May 22 00:40:35 AEST 1988

In article <44316 at beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick at seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>> >I am looking for profiler to run on a SVR2 platform. We currently are
>> and cumulative use along the PC address axis.  Don't tell me this
>> feature got lost as a result of the Berkeley "improvements"!
>Gratuitious Berkeley bashing?

No.  If you had read the part that you failed to quote, you would
have seen a reference to having "gprof".  Obviously that so-called
"SVR2 platform" was not using the AT&T COFF-based SGS but rather
some form of the Berkeley C environment.

Actually, the 4.3BSD manual shows that "prof" does still support the
-v option for producing PLOT(5)-style graphics output (which I was
glad to discover), although "gprof" doesn't appear to have such a
feature.  Therefore the original requestor probably ought to be able
to get graphic instruction-space usage histograms anyway.  I now
wonder whether I understood the original request.  (It sure SOUNDED
like that's what was wanted!)