C Profiler Wanted

Dennis L. Mumaugh dlm at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Wed May 25 04:16:29 AEST 1988

In article <10347 at cci632.UUCP> susan at cci632.UUCP (Susan Micciche) writes:

>I am looking for profiler to run on a SVR2 platform. We currently are
>using "gprof" on our systems as well as "prof". We would like something
>that will profile at a lower level, like monitor(3C), but automatically
>with a compiler option. Does such an animal exist?

You failed to specify the SVR2 platform.  There is such  a  beast
for  SystemV  Release  2 (and later) for the ATT 3B product line.
It is called lprof for line profiler.  It produces  an  annotated
listing of the C source with a count, line by line, of the number
of times each statement was executed.

It uses a special routine to insert code into the executable  and
is invoked as a compile time option (-qc) to the C compiler.  The
lprof is part of the C Programmers Productivity Tools offered  by
ATT.  See your account rep.

For SVR2 people who don't  have  an  ATT  platform  consult  your
vendor they might have the product or plan to offer it.
--
=Dennis L. Mumaugh
 Lisle, IL       ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,lll-crg}!cuuxb!dlm