C Profiler Wanted

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Fri May 20 19:57:03 AEST 1988

In article <10347 at cci632.UUCP> susan at cci632.UUCP (Susan Micciche) writes:
>I am looking for profiler to run on a SVR2 platform. We currently are
>using "gprof" on our systems as well as "prof". We would like something
>that will profile at a lower level, like monitor(3C), but automatically
>with a compiler option. Does such an animal exist?

I'm confused by this.  I could have sworn that the standard cc -p
profiling uses monitor() to build an instruction-count profile as
well as a function entry count (with the instruction PC "bin size"
set to some default, which presumably could be adjusted simply
enough by keeping in in an extern, e.g. __pc_bin_size, for use by
the mcrt0.o startup code.

I know that even on 6th Edition UNIX I was able to (via "prof -v")
produce nice graphic histograms showing instruction usage density
and cumulative use along the PC address axis.  Don't tell me this
feature got lost as a result of the Berkeley "improvements"!