Ksh use (was Re: Should ``csh'' be part of ...)

Rob Thurlow rthurlow at van-bc.UUCP
Thu May 19 12:12:24 AEST 1988

I want to bitch about being with a not-huge company.  The cost of $2000
for source is hard to justify for a product I believe to be great but
have not seen.  We have four different System V boxes; you'd think one
of the vendors would give out 'ksh' as a freebie.  Since I'm dreaming,
why can't it be AT&T, who doesn't even give us 'csh' for some reason?
Come on guys, this IS 1988; can't I get a computer to remember what I
typed for me?  Why do they even ship the 3B2 V.2 without a shell which
can do history?

INFO help_me()
{
	Which reminds me - anyone got a line on where we can buy a binary
	of 'ksh' for the AT&T 3B2 running System V Release 2?  I heard that
	this was available.  That we might be able to buy.
}

Two other points -

In article <2199 at quacky.mips.COM> dce at mips.COM (David Elliott) writes:
>   Does ksh have anything like {}?  (In case you don't know, "-r1.{2,4}"
>   expands to "-r1.2 -r1.4".)

NB - this happens regardless of whether any files exist with names like
this.  There's lots of ways to generate names of files in sh & csh, but
not enough to just manufacture arbitrary patterns, in my opinion; this
feature bucks that trend.

>Of course, I'm not completely insane, since I often go into sh to run
>loops, and I write on sh scripts, never csh scripts.

Agreed.  Only lunatics *prefer* 'csh' for scripts.  I just want a Bourne
shell with shell functions and history.  Does that exist? :-)

Disclaimer: My company does not necessarily share my views.  But they
			don't have USENET, so you won't find their name in this
			message anyway.
"There was something fishy about the butler.  I think he was a Pisces, |
probably working for scale."   - Nick Danger                           |
                        uunet-----\                                    |
Robert Thurlow                     !van-bc!rthurlow                    |
                        ubc-cs----/                                    |