Open Software Foundation

Eric S. Johnson esj at beach.cis.ufl.edu
Mon May 30 12:50:38 AEST 1988

In article <54822 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
In article <14976 at brl-adm.arpa> Root Boy Jim writes:

>>> 	God, I just hope this desease doesn't spread to Sun!
>>
>> Perhaps it has. Pascal and Fortran have been unbundled, but that's okay,
>> as nobody uses them anyway :-)
>
>Note: the unbundling of Pascal and FORTRAN was in no way prompted by any action
>on the part of AT&T.  AT&T doesn't run Sun, or dictate its software marketing
>policies (except to the extent that their licenses do so).  We have no
>expectation that they will do so in the future.

Yet, this "unbundling" of UNIX software did start with ATT. Why has Sun
continued it? I sure would like to see anything sold as UNIX by any vendor be
compatible with the V7 manuals AT THE USERS COMMAND LEVEL. (I.E.  chapter 1)

Such a dreamer am I.

In Real Life:           Internet: esj at beach.cis.ufl.edu
Eric S. Johnson II      UUCP: ...{codas|gatech}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!esj
University of Florida         Think of it as entropy in action :-)