Open Software Foundation

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Mon May 30 16:46:14 AEST 1988

> Yet, this "unbundling" of UNIX software did start with ATT. Why has Sun
> continued it?

Many vendors have unbundled various pieces of UNIX.  Not all of them have done
so just because AT&T did so.  I don't know why we unbundled our compilers,
except that it's not because AT&T unbundled "nroff"....

> I sure would like to see anything sold as UNIX by any vendor be
> compatible with the V7 manuals AT THE USERS COMMAND LEVEL. (I.E.  chapter 1)
>
> Such a dreamer am I.

Definitely.  For one thing, some entries in the SVID specify behavior
*different* from the behavior specified in the V7 manuals.  For another, some
of the commands in the V7 manual are old and obsolete ("tp", for instance) and
it makes no sense for everybody to bundle them into their UNIXes.  Others were
written in assembler; if you want every UNIX out there to support "bas", you'd
better volunteer to rewrite it in C....