Should ``csh'' be part of the System V distribution?

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.UUCP
Tue May 17 15:20:20 AEST 1988

In article <668 at vsi.UUCP>, sullivan at vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) writes:
< In article <2593 at polyslo.UUCP>, jeff at polyslo.UUCP (Skippy The Wonder Hacker) writes:
< >
< >   The system that I run is the major unix machine for the university.
< > Here is the breakdown on shells:
< >
< > 	csh(actually tcsh):	740
< > 	sh:			  5
<
< When I was going to school (UCSB, just down the road a ways :-) I'd say
< most if not all students were using csh.  It was the default shell and
< we didn't know any better to change it or even if we wanted to.

Also keep in mind that many 4.2 systems don't have the Sys V /bin/sh,
which is a lot nicer than UCB /bin/sh.  Sure, there is no history, but
shell functions are really wonderful.  I use sh and ksh all the time,
but when I login to the VAX back at school I lose my mind.

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc. (714) 545-6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com    {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl   attmail!vsi!friedl