Down in the Dumps (a true story)

Keith McNeill mcneill at eplrx7.UUCP
Thu May 26 23:19:13 AEST 1988

I once did:

	dump 0uf /dev/rra0a /dev/rra0a (blush)

My fingers just got carried away....

I like what sys5 dangerous utilities (volcopy & mkfs) do.
They tell you what you are doing and wait 5-10 seconds
before they do anything.  This gives you a chance to
change you mind.  For example dump could do something like this:

DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Thu May 26 09:03:42 1988
DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
DUMP: Dumping /dev/rra0a (/) to /dev/rra0a
DUMP: Sleeping 10 seconds...Hit BREAK to quit....

Something like this would have saved us a morning of down time!

--
    Keith D. McNeill                  |        E.I. Dupont Co.
    uunet!eplrx7!mcneill              |        Engineering Physics Lab