Down in the Dumps (a true story)

Chuck Karish karish at denali.stanford.edu
Thu May 26 11:00:36 AEST 1988

In article <22872 at bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>Although the problem you point out is clearly a misfeature/bug (dump
>not checking its arguments carefully enough) I think a better approach
>would be to write shell or c programs to act as wrappers and thus can
>be customized to do whatever checking (including local heuristics) you
>want.

I agree.  I've already done this, for dump.  Several years ago, a
couple of us wrote a C program that was designed to have setuid access
codes, and be run by trusted-but-not-necessarily-skilled operators, who
have group execute access.  I'll mail it to anyone who wants it.

Chuck Karish	ARPA:	karish at denali.stanford.edu
		BITNET:	karish%denali at forsythe.stanford.edu
		UUCP:	{decvax,hplabs!hpda}!mindcrf!karish
		USPS:	1825 California St. #5   Mountain View, CA 94041