Open Software Foundation

George W. Leach reggie at pdn.UUCP
Wed May 25 09:55:17 AEST 1988

In article <3c2a41f6.13422 at apollo.uucp> mishkin at apollo.UUCP (Nathaniel Mishkin) writes:

>First, getting System V Release 3 (and presumably later releases)
>requires companies to sign a fairly (shall we say) "heavyweight" contract
>obliging the companies to do all sorts of things.
>is not necessary stable either (i.e. they could be different and Release
>4), thus making a company's long-term planning rather hard.  As a result,
>it's not clear that all companies could or would sign onto later System
>V releases, making the issue of unification moot.

     He has an excellent point.  In the grand tradition of overpricing the
AT&T 7300 and unbundling all the software that aught to come standard with
UNIX, eg. development tools, wwb, etc...., AT&T's methods of going to market
with their products will undermind all the technical skills of their people.

     God, I just hope this desease doesn't spread to Sun!

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
..!uunet!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LF-207