What is AIX, was Re: OSF -- some more news

John R. Levine johnl at ima.ISC.COM
Tue May 31 04:26:48 AEST 1988

In article <22024 at labrea.Stanford.EDU> karish at denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>	The remark about SysV Rel 2 compatibility surprises
>	me.  My understanding is that the original port for the
>	RT was from Sys V Rel 1, but I don't know enough about the
>	differences between V.1 and V.2 to tell whether AIX has
>	followed the changes.  Does anyone have more information?

I was the architect of the Unix part of AIX for the RT.  We started with
the SVR1 tape, and it was an explicit goal that AIX be a strict superset
of Sys V.  IBM moves very slowly and I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't
yet gotten around to moving the RT to V.2, since they have been quite busy
adding their kind of networking, configuration support, and windowing.  In
case you were wondering, I haven't the faintest idea what the secret thing
is that makes AIX so particularly well suited to the the base for the OSF
software.
--
John R. Levine, IECC, PO Box 349, Cambridge MA 02238-0349, +1 617 492 3869
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine at YALE.something