IBMs AIX

H. Lynn Tilley lynn at engr.uky.edu
Tue May 31 12:30:24 AEST 1988

In article <22024 at labrea.Stanford.EDU> karish at denali.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:

>>Which AIX? Based on IBM specs there are at least three different AIXs:
>>AIX/370, AIX/PS-2, and AIX/RT, which are all different and none of
>>which is Sys V Rel 2 compatible!
>
>	My understanding is that the original port for the
>	RT was from Sys V Rel 1, but I don't know enough about the
>	differences between V.1 and V.2 to tell whether AIX has
>	followed the changes.  Does anyone have more information?

	I thought that the original RT version was based on AT&T Unix
	SysV Rel 2 (the first implementation seemed a little weak, but the new
	one seems better). Since AIX/370 is not due until March and the one for
	the PS/2 is due in September it may be a little early to fully judge
	their full compatibility.  If AIX is SVID I would thing that it
	would have some kind of compatibility, though it may be very small.

	I do have a question.  At a recent meeting held here at U.K., one
	of the AIX development team members stated that IBM's AIX had over
	2,000,000 lines of code that was compatible across three
	architectures.  Does this number seem excessive.  I thought one
	of the big things about Unix was its compactness. Also, I am
	not certain what IBM is defining as their AIX release (i.e. what
	they bundling with AIX).

--
 |   Henry L. Tilley             Center for Robotics and Manufacturing Systems
 |   University of Kentucky      INTERNET:                   lynn at engr.uky.edu
 V   Voice (606)257-6262         UUCP:          {cbosgd|uunet}!ukma!ukecc!lynn
 O   Opinions, mine! Facts, ?    BITNET:         lynn%engr.uky.edu at ukma.bitnet