OSF -- some more news

Chuck Karish karish at denali.stanford.edu
Mon May 30 11:11:44 AEST 1988

In article <3568 at korppi.tut.fi> jh at tut.fi (Juha Hein{nen) writes:
>In article <760 at fig.bbn.com> rsalz at bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>>[ The full press release is in comp.std.unix; check it out. ]
>>
>>I've heard this from a couple of people that I trust...
>>
>>The Open Software Foundation will be basing their Unix-style OS
>>on AIX, which is System V release 2.  One reason is that it is
>
>Which AIX? Based on IBM specs there are at least three different AIXs:
>AIX/370, AIX/PS-2, and AIX/RT, which are all different and none of
>which is Sys V Rel 2 compatible! At least AIX/370 will be compatible
>with BSD 4.x but may also include Sys V stuff.
	IBM representatives claim that they haven't had to deviate
	too far from their goal of being able to make AIX objects
	for all three systems from the same sources.

	I think you may be confusing AIX/370 with IBM/4.3, a
	completely different product.   By the way, IBM has promised
	its customers that a number of BSD enhancements will be added
	to AIX this year.

	The remark about SysV Rel 2 compatibility surprises
	me.  My understanding is that the original port for the
	RT was from Sys V Rel 1, but I don't know enough about the
	differences between V.1 and V.2 to tell whether AIX has
	followed the changes.  Does anyone have more information?

Chuck Karish	ARPA:	karish at denali.stanford.edu
		BITNET:	karish%denali at forsythe.stanford.edu
		UUCP:	{decvax,hplabs!hpda}!mindcrf!karish
		USPS:	1825 California St. #5   Mountain View, CA 94041