OSF -- some more news

Rich Salz rsalz at bbn.com
Tue May 24 06:15:52 AEST 1988

[ The full press release is in comp.std.unix; check it out. ]

I've heard this from a couple of people that I trust...

The Open Software Foundation will be basing their Unix-style OS
on AIX, which is System V release 2.  One reason is that it is
just too hard to prove that something like this contains no AT&T
code to make it worthwhile.  (I'm sure there were technical reasons
behind the decision, too.)

At least one programming group in one company is rather demoralized by
the idea of having yet another OS to track.

Anyone can join OSF.  (I wonder how easy it will be for "newcomers" to
join, given that you can't get a SysVrel2 license any more?)  ATT was
briefed a few weeks ago.  (Anyone know when Sun was officially told?)

Send your "don't quote me" facts to me, if you'd like them to appear
on the net without your name attached...  but make sure to prove that
you're reliable.

Your friendly netNEWS reporter,
	/rich $alz
--