O'pain Software Foundation: (3) relationship to GNU & openness

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.UUCP
Wed May 25 16:25:48 AEST 1988

In article <3c3fdf1b.4bee at apollo.uucp>, gallen at apollo.uucp (Gary Allen) writes:
>                                                    if you think that the Sun/AT&T
> UNIX will not favor particular machine architectures such as SPARC and 3Bx, then
> I'd like to talk to you about some bridges that I have for sale.
> Gary Allen
> Apollo Computer

Well, I think that SUN just _might_ want to favour a couple of antique
no-hoper architectures called, oh what were they, 80386 and 68020 (you
know 68020s, the things a lot of Apollos come with...).  With SUN wanting
merged UNIX to run on 68020s, 80836s, and SPARCs, and AT&T wanting it to
run on 3Bs, sounds like porting S5R4 ought to be a lot more portable than
any previous version (to start with, the 68020 and 80386 have opposite
byte sex).

What puzzles me is what took the OSF so long.  The SUN/AT&T UNIX merge has
been publicised for a couple of years.