ksh (was Should ``csh'' be part of the System V distribution?)

Eduardo Krell ekrell at hector.UUCP
Fri May 20 06:01:08 AEST 1988

In article <53764 at sun.uucp> guy at gorodish.UUCP writes:
>> 	(okay - you could rename ksh to sh)
>
>Well, no, you really can't, not always.  There are supposedly a few real live
>incompatibilities that may break some scripts.

We have renamed /bin/ksh to /bin/sh and the bourne shell to /bin/bsh (just
in case). We've been running this for a long time on Vaxen, Apollos, 3Bs,
Suns, etc. running BSD, System V and hybrids and/or derivatives thereof.

I've never seen any major problem. I've done this on my 3B2 (SVR3) and
a Counterpoint workstation (SVR3 + "BSD enhancements") and I have yet to find
any script that breaks.

    Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

    UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell		ARPA: ekrell at ulysses.att.com