Should ``csh'' be part of the System V distribution?

XMRP50000[jcm]-a.v.reed avr at mtgzz.UUCP
Tue May 17 03:35:43 AEST 1988

In article <77 at denali.stanford.edu>, karish at denali.stanford.edu (karish) writes:
> I'm trying out ksh now, after four years of using csh exclusively
> (interactively).  The transition was easy.  I don't feel anywhere near
> as restricted as I do when I use sh interactively.  The only thing I
> miss is the '!$' construct; I suspect that there's a way to do this
> under ksh, but I haven't found it yet.

In ksh, the last argument of the previous line is "$_".
To get the entire previous line, use commands appropriate to your
editing mode. I use vi mode, so to get the previous line I type
"<ESC>-": <ESC> to escape into command mode, and - to get the
previous line. You can also use the search capabilities of your
editor, eg in vi mode, /cpio<RET> gets you the last command
containing the regular expression "cpio". Much more general than
anything you can do in csh, and you don't even need to learn a set of
csh-specific editing commands!
				Adam Reed (mtgzz!avr)