Should ``csh'' be part of the System V distribution?

John Woods john at frog.UUCP
Tue May 17 13:20:00 AEST 1988

In article <77 at denali.stanford.edu>, karish at denali.stanford.edu (karish) writes:
> In article <2601 at usceast.UUCP> still at cs.scarolina.edu (Bert Still) writes:
> >Incidentally, as far as I know, no one
> >uses the Korn shell.

The UNOS operating system is now shipped with ksh as the standard command
interpreter (since ksh can be used without a UNIX(R) license).

> The only thing I miss is the '!$' construct;

Perhaps there are subtleties in the csh !$ construct that I am missing, but
in ksh, $_ is the last word of the previous command line.  In emacs mode,
ESC . (period) expands immediately into the last word.

> Unfortunately, AT&T isn't marketing ksh in a way that encourages its
> adoption as a standard.  I'd like to see it bundled with System V,
> instead of being an extra-cost option from the Toolchest.  The price
> of  a re-distribution license is reportedly about $20,000, which is too
> high, until there's a demand for the program.  The demand won't be
> there until people can try the program, and we go around and around.

For an operating system vendor, $20,000 for the right to distribute an
infinite number of copies of an incredibly useful program ought to be quite
attractive (though I guess traditional UNIX vendors might figure "it's not
THAT much better than plain old sh", or worse, "How could anything be better
than csh?" ULCH!).  And for mid-sized user communities, the $2,000 source-
and-site-license doesn't seem that bad, either.

> Some of Korn's claims for the program are a bit exaggerated.  It's
> still a good piece of work, and a worthy replacement for csh.

Amen!
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john at frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw at eddie.mit.edu

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
		-- Johnny Hart