Should ``csh'' be part of the System V distribution?

Arthur David Olson ado at elsie.UUCP
Wed May 18 00:31:38 AEST 1988

> > The only thing I miss is the '!$' construct;
>
> Perhaps there are subtleties in the csh !$ construct that I am missing, but
> in ksh, $_ is the last word of the previous command line.  In emacs mode,
> ESC . (period) expands immediately into the last word.

And, as noted in someone else's earlier article, ESC _ works in vi mode.

There are, though, subtleties with $_:

		Script started on Tue May 17 10:24:53 1988
		$ cd /tmp
		$ tee a b c < /dev/null
		$ /bin/csh
		% echo ?