A quick /etc/rmt question

Dan Kegel dan at srs.UUCP
Fri May 27 00:49:19 AEST 1988

In article <886 at srs.UUCP> I wrote:
> I'm trying to manipulate a remote tape drive from within a program, and
> /etc/rmt looks like just the ticket.  Unfortunately, I can't get it to
> work even from the shell.  Here's what I tried:
> What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for any (preferably e-mailed) replies.

I recieved two helpful replies (almost before I posted the article, even!-)

#1:

#2:
> From: matt at srs.uucp (Matt Goheen)
> How about "O/dev/rmt8".

Sure enough, omitting the space between the O and the device name fixed
the problem.  Sun's documentation is a little misleading here:
>    The protocol  is  comprised  of  the following commands (a space is
>    present between each token).
>     O device mode     Open the specified device using the indicated mode.

Thanks for the help, guys.
--
  Dan Kegel   "... earn it anew if thou wouldst possess it."  - Goethe: Faust
  srs!dan at cs.rochester.edu  rochester!srs!dan dan%srs.uucp at harvard.harvard.edu